Ask These 10 Questions before Hiring a Criminal Defense Lawyer in Columbus
Taking a deliberative, reasoned approach will help ensure you’re happy with your attorney and the results. Here are a few questions to use when you interview a potential attorney:
First, a little bit about the attorney’s background and experience…
- Where did you attend law school, and when did you graduate?
- How long have you been practicing criminal law and what type of cases have you handled? What is your success rate?
- How often do your clients go to trial and how would you describe your relationship with the prosecutor’s staff? How frequently do you negotiate plea agreements?
- Have you handled cases similar to mine with similar charges? What percentage of your time do you spend handling these types of charges?
How will my case be handled…
Logistics are important, and before you hire someone to take your case, it is good to have a clear idea of how the work on your case will be managed. Here are some questions relevant to that issue.
- Are you available to represent me? If so, will you personally represent me in court, or will that responsibility go to someone else?
- Will anyone else be working on my case? If so, may I meet them as well?
- Who do I call if I have questions? What is your contact preference: phone, email, other? What is the usual response time?
Criminal attorneys charge either by the hour or ask for a flat fee. Rates may be competitive so shopping may be to your advantage. But keep in mind that lawyers with a great track record may be more expensive. That’s why asking more than just “how much” is a better way to select your attorney, taking a holistic view to help resolve the charges against you.
Here are some questions you might consider asking regarding legal fees:
- What’s your fee structure? Do you charge by the hour or a flat fee? If by the hour, what is your rate? If flat fee, what is that?
- What is included in the fee? Will there be extras on top of the flat fee? Can I get an estimate? Do I need to pay everything up front? Is there a payment schedule?
- Do I have to pay a retainer?
Need a Criminal Defense Attorney in Columbus, Ohio?
If you need a criminal defense attorney, it is important to trust your legal representative. The skilled, trusted legal representation at Probst Law Office offers the help you need to be sure you have the representation you deserve. Get the experience, skill, and knowledge you need when you hire Michael Probst as your attorney. Contact Michael today for your free consultation, or call now at 614-232-8890.